2011/05/01

Promises

Warning, God is discussed here today. In case you haven't noticed, this blog generally takes the form of the "Hardy minutes" or factual updates with minimal commentary or opinion (for a diverse audience more interested in baby photos than in my/our opinions/beliefs). Today's big update ventures beyond neutral territory, into the realm of faith. Before I believed that God existed, discussion about God, Jesus, and Christianity was both intriguing and uncomfortable. I don't like to make people uncomfortable, but for our beloved friends and family outside the Christian community, I do want to provide the opportunity to understand the significance of this event in our lives.

So, yes, Naomi was BAPTIZED (!!), and Ricky & I made our biggest promises yet since our wedding vows. The baptism itself is a seal of her incorporation into the body of Christ (the Church). It doesn't mean that she necessarily believes in God (yet), so it relies instead upon Ricky and my belief and promises. Being a parent has many lofty responsibilities, but this is by far the greatest. Here is what we promised:

-To dedicate Naomi to God
-To bring her up in the Christian faith
-To pray with and for her
-To teach her the doctrines of the Christian faith
-To read the Bible with her
-To strive by all the means of God's appointment to bring her up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord


Satisfying the question of whether or not God exists was the most fulfilling experience in my life. God's goodness is too often obfuscated by his followers (Christians - flawed individuals in need of forgiveness) or not sought out because of pride (I'm fine on my own; I can make up a better system; I don't need it.). I hope and pray that Naomi overcomes these obstacles and finds God too.

For anyone that wants to know more. I suggest 3 books with authors far more eloquent than me:
- Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (A primer on Christianity and methodical approach to weighing arguments for and against it)
-The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel (A journalist searching for evidence for and against Jesus as the Messiah)
-The Bible (A complete work!)

Seek with all your heart and you will find: "But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul." -Deut 4:29

More photos to come.


2 comments:

RDT said...

Amen and Amen. Thanks for this post and this reminder, Linds.

Julie Kelber said...

Best wishes in fulfilling your committment. I will pray and hope that God will do what we are unable to do: open her eyes, soften her heart and give her the gift of salvation by faith.